Thanks for visiting the Art of the Image blog. We've moved over to www.artoftheimage.com so this blog is no longer updated, but please feel free to peruse the articles and content here.

When you're finished, please visit us at www.artoftheimage.com for all the current blog posts and information. Thanks!!!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Nikon D610 Review: Day 7 - Dominique... a Portrait Session with Speedlite Softboxes



Day 7 with the Nikon D610, and I was scheduled to do some portraits (or modelling shots) with Dominique.  Naturally, I figured it was time to pull out the Speedlite Softboxes. :-)



Dom was easy to work with.  She's got a great smile, especially when you make her laugh.


The D610 performed flawlessly.  Auto focus was swift and accurate, and working with the Speedlite Softboxes was simple and easy. 


We did the shoot in Dom's living room, so we didn't have a ton of room to work with, but there was enough for what we needed.  Often times, you work with what you have on location, and in the past,  I've had to make do with a lot less room that we had here. :-)


I dialed out most of the ambient light in the room with my shutter speed, and finessed my Speedlite Softboxes mostly by moving them around a bit and changing the direction and angles slightly.  I think I might have adjusted power once or twice, but I pretty much did a "set 'em and forget 'em". 


The light coming out of the softboxes made for a nice soft light, and I had two in action so there was no need of a reflector. 


If memory serves, the Speedlite Softbox camera left was the main, and it was set to 1/8 power. 


The Speedlite Softbox camera right was at 1/16th power.


I played around with distance a little depending on the pose, which is easy enough to do, especially when there are no cords to get in your way.


Dom was a natural in front of the camera, and the Nikon 24-85mm VR lens really seemed to like her. :-)


Over-all, the D610 was a pleasure to work with during my session with Dominique.


I'm really liking the venerable little Nikon D610 with it's beautifully rich files, and I think I'm going to miss it when we part ways.

Equipment Used on this Shoot:
Nikon D610
Nikon 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR AF-S 
Speedlite Softbox (x2)
Nikon SB-26 Speedlites (check out the Yongnuo YN-560II as an alternative)

Cowboy Studio Wireless Triggers & Receivers
Manfrotto Nano Light Stand

No comments: